My 2017 Skincare Journey - The Way I cure My Acne

10:47 AM

I was suffered for severe acne my graduation month in November 2016. It was 9 months long 'till July 2017. I'm not 100% recovered, but it's 97% recovered 'till August 2017. I wasn't really sure the trigger of my acne problem, but I've been suffering for severe acne 2 times since in college.

My first acne problem, I was breaking out in foerhead area. It's kind of nodula(s). Btw nodula is kind of acne which is not only visible on the skin surface because it's large, but also presents a large lump beneath the surface of the skin, and feels pain to touch.

My latest acne problem is almost the same but it's not only in my forehead, but also the cheek-near-nose area. And my pore, it's became worst it's enlarged!

My breaking out yet dull skin, and messy brows, haha. This is my bareface, so ashamed that time.

I didn't took the picture of my face when it first breaking out in November 2015, but it's no any better 'till April 2017, so here's the picture of my face in April 25, 2017. As you can see I have looooot of hyperpigmented acne scars in my right and left cheeks. And it's like have no end. When one pimple calmed, another pimple came out, it's stressed me out.

I only used and did my regular skincare routine, facial wash - sometime toner - aloe vera gel (because I heard it can cure acne & other skin problems) so maybe it's my fault that ignored this problem. The hopeless me keep searching for the cure in youtube, so in April, I started my new skincare routine:

Left to Right: Garnier Micellar Water, Pond's Acne Solution, Nucerity Advanced Exofilator, Etude House Wonderpore Freshner, HerBeauty Mask Lemon, Nature Republic Aloe Vera Gel

Based on what I watched on Youtube, double cleanse is a must, so I clean my face with micellar water first, then continue to wash my face with my regular facial foam ( I actually have been double cleansed since a long time, but I just started using Garnier Micellar Water in March 2017).

The Youtube has opened my eyes, that exfoliating skin once/twice a week in necessary to peel the dead skin cells than contain sebum and dirt, so I tried my aunt's exfoliator that I saw in the bathroom (I didn't ask for her permission, sorry lol). That exfoliator is a bomb! I see my face brighter and my acne reduced just in my 2nd use.

Then continue to the toner that will hydrating face after cleansing and this Etude Wonderpore Freshner is way way better than my Pond's white beauty toner (price won't lie). I was actually been using it since February 2017, and sure it can't tighten your pore in just 1 or 2 times of using. I need more than 2 months to realize that this toner works on me.

For me, face mask is the most important for acne survival. I usually use face mask almost every day, but idk I've been such a lazy since the begining of January 2017. Then I gave HerBeauty Mask in lemon variant a try. I think it's just overhyped. I didn't felt any change after using it for 2 months, whether it claims can cure inflamed acne in 2 weeks.

I heard a lot that aloe vera gel is a holy grail skincare product since it has lot of benefits for beauty, include for healing acne. I've been using it since November as a sleeping mask every day, but I didn't see any result of using it every day. I admit that it's refreshing, but healing acne? I don't think so. But in April I tried new way of using this aloe vera gel. Besides using it as a sleeping mask, I also re apllied it everytime I need. And I use it more thickly as sleeping mask. After doing this way for several days, I finally found that this aloe vera gel works.

So this is my face after trying my new skincare routine for a week, I can feel my face better. But it didn't last long because one by one pimples were came out again. Finally in the end of May, when I finally back to Padang, I decided to consult with dermatologist. If you're live in Padang and need a recommendation of good and cheap dermatologist, I'll recommend you to visit dr. Elda Leo. The doctor, she gave me lot of cream and gel and also pills. I changed my skincare routine to the doctor's recommendation (I used sulfur soap as my facial wash, btw).

For months I wondered what was caused my acne, and I just tried random products to cure it by my self. I denied go to the dermatologist because I'm afraid it'll cost a lot of money, and now I know I was wrong. By visiting the dermatologist, you'll know the exact cause of your problems, so they can give you the appropriate cure for you. Make sure you come to the best dermatologist in your town, which got many reviews and recommendations.

My face in Eid Mubarak, June 2017. Big pimples are gone, but it left the big dark spots on my cheeks.

It got better after a month. I stopped using cream and gel from the doctor. Big pimples were stopped coming out of my face. It left the acne scars which became ugly dark spots in my face. So, my mom bought me The Body Shop Tea Tree Daily Solution. I started my new skincare routine including The Body Shop products from the Tea Tree line. 

So, after 97% recovered from acne, this is my currently skincare routine which are HOLY GRAIL for me

Left to Right: Pond's White Beauty Milk Cleanser, TBS Tea Tree Facial Wash (gel based), Onsaimeein Yoghurt Peeling, Etude House Wonder Pore Freshner, Tiens Spirullina Capsule (used as mask), TBS Tea Tree Daily Solution, TBS Tea Tree Oil, The Saem Aloe Vera Gel

The exfoliator I use is from Onsaimeein, I bought it from Althea Korea months before there's a problem with the customs. I choose that after confused of searching the good exfoliator. I just not really into scrub type, because I'm scared it'll be too harsh for my skin, so I search for gel type exfoliator and I found The Body Shop Drops of Youth Peeling Gel got much of good reviews on Youtube, but the price is too damn expensive, around IDR 400K. I finally found Onsaimeein Yoghurt Peeling on Althea and it's only IDR 80.000!

The TBS Tea Tree Daily Solution is also great for me and now I never spend a day without all these skincare routine. So, here's the picture of my face now:

Bare face. Not glowing as the Koreans yet, but it's okay.
With make up. I just put some concealer and loose powder on it, but it covered my skin so perfectly, that I don't need more effort to put bb cream or cushion anymore.

DISCLAIMER: This post is not for the sake of promotion. I just trying to share my experience that some peops also struggling with. Not every products that I used will be suitable for everyone's skin, so it will be better to go to the dermatologist and find your own holy grail skincare products. But almost of all products in my current skincare routine are the most recommended products from many beauty vloggers. I also like to try various skincare products and curating the best of 'em.

If you're asking where to get the aloe vera gel, and another products I've been curated, you can visit @clefty.co instagram. There I sell both local and Korean skincare and makeup products which I also use and love. All 100% authentic for sure!

You Might Also Like

0 Comments